Friday, April 16, 2010

Strawberries?

There is nothing like a strawberry shortcake dessert...whipped cream and sweet berries, yum! There is actually a wonderful you-pick strawberry field down the road that calls to me every berry season.
But the Environmental Working Group (see link below) has placed strawberries at #6 of their "Dirty Dozen" fruits and vegetables with the most pesticides. They recommend buying organic. There are hardly any organic strawberries in the grocery stores around me. And when they are there, they are usually little things that look like they are a few days past their prime.
A friend tells me that she just eats them and hopes her immune system will do it's job if there are any pesticides. When I break down and really must have them, I go to the you-pick them field (not organic but they tell me they use the least chemicals they can) and wash them really well.
What do you do? Do you use organic produce? Are there any fruits or vegetables you will only buy organic?

No comments:

Post a Comment